Saturday, February 22, 2014

The 24 Hour Tattoo Artist



Last night after I closed the shop I went to a friend's house for a sex toy party. Why wouldn't I?
As with any party there was a mix of friends I knew and people I've never met but luckily I'm pretty good at chatting with people and networking and everyone was friendly so it was a pretty pleasant evening.

When a close friend was asking my opinion on a tattoo idea some girl over heard and their ears perked up and I knew it was coming.

"You tattoo!? OMG That is so awesome. Where?" Which then lead to several people flashing me their ink, asking me my opinion on additions, cover ups, and new pieces, as well as prices.

Before you knew it I wasn't "Casey", that friend of Jen's, I was "Casey" the tattoo artist and I was in full work, consultation mode.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. These sort of situations and events are amazing for networking and developing clientele but it just made me realize that a tattoo artist is never really "off work".

A week ago my father got married and I was in the wedding. It was my one day off that week and my phone would not stop blowing up with people sending me designs they wanted and appointments they wanted to book...

I should add this was an Irish wedding and I had been drinking since 3pm... The best I could do was keep answers short and simple and try to get back to them the next day.

Not to mention, once you become a tattoo artist. You see more of your friends and strangers than you ever planned.

The minute people find out you tattoo they're lifting up their skirts, taking off shirts, moving bra straps, exposing ever section of skin imaginable when just 5 minutes ago you'd just learned their name. I find it hilarious.

Sort of reminds me of summer time. Normally people cover themselves and would never imagine walking around in under wear and night gowns but as soon as it's summer it's totally acceptable to walk around in minimal clothes and swimwear that basically is just that.

Once you're an artist, you are one always.  Most of your business isn't even in the shop but when your out and about talking to people and handing out cards and answering questions and basically selling yourself and you're art.

When I go home I draw, when I'm out, I'm networking, when I'm at a family functioning I'm booking appointments.

We're like 7-11. We're not always doing business, but we're always open.

Not to mention, when you run into someone else who tattoos it's almost like two dogs sniffing each other's ass and sizing themselves.

"Where do you tattoo"
"How long you been doing it"
"What machines you running?"

They don't really care they just want to know if they are better than you.


The answer is... you're not.

Ok that's probably not true but attitude and confidence is everything :-)


If you must fight, fight for love,

-Casey

No comments:

Post a Comment