Monday, July 29, 2013

New York State of Mind


 Sorry it's been a while since I posted but as I look at it, its a blog, not a diary.

Its better I write when something is strong on my mind, than just mindless filler. I don't really think all 5 people that read this really mind anyway. :-P

So lately I've been in a little bit of a gloom. How you ask? As my best friend stated last week...

"You work on the beach, you have pink hair, and a hot British boyfriend! Your life is awesome!"

I can't really argue with her on that, my life is definitely on a high peak from past years. I wake up to palm trees and sunshine, drive over a gulf to get to work (or bay, or cape, or whatever the hell it is. Large thing of water with salt that's not ocean.), kiss my amazing man good bye as he goes off to work, and then go my shop, right across the street from the ocean, to tattoo some pretty awesome people everyday...

Don't hate me, I'll explain my gloom!

Did you hear what was missing in there?

How about music. How about friends. How about family. How about culture.

For the first month or so, it was fun. Ocean, beach, margaritas, all I could do was listen to Bob Marley everyday in my car. However, we are who we are. It didn't take long after that for me to get frustrated I can't run outside without dying from the heat and getting eaten by the bugs, the battle with my waistline due to all the exotic drinks, and the itch of loneliness that comes from not being able to confide in a girlfriend over some wine or a bad movie.

Then it happened. I caught myself rocking out to my classic punk rock to work, something I haven't done since I first came to Florida in April.

That's the sign right there.

Put me anywhere but it will never change the fact that I'm a brash, loud, punk rock loving, rude and tattooed, New York girl. I like running around on 100 cups of coffee, I like being negative, I like speedy results, I like honking my horn, I MISS MY FUCKING DOC MARTENS! (It's to hot to wear those here, or any other form of boot) And I miss not having to filter my sarcasm and overall personality as to not scare the Floridians.

I miss hole in the wall shit places with amazing food, or music, or at least cheap drinks. I miss my pushy, over bearing aunt, my unpredictable, sometimes frustrating but always good hearted father, my spacey but always loyal good friends, and walking out of my apartment to 3 tattoo shops, 2 coffee shops, a tea and vegan café, 5 bars, 2 head shops, and a park.

Florida is beautiful. It's paradise. But not everything that glitters is gold and there is a reason people come here to vacation for a few weeks, shop, swim, drink, and go home.

So this was sort of a rant blog. Hey, you read it, that's' you problem. For now I will enjoy the ocean view, sand between my toes, and cheap rent.... why I rock out to the Ramones.

Love Your Self. Get more Pets. Make Less Kids.

-Casey

 P.S. No I'm not running off to New York and leaving my wonderful Brit behind! You don't find a precious gem and throw it in the dumpster! <3 <3 <3



 

1 comment:

  1. I hear ya girl, adjustments are difficult- even if we DO live in paradise ;) Hope it gets easier and starts to feel more like home soon!

    ReplyDelete