Friday, August 16, 2013

5 Simple Ways to Prevent Your Customers from Killing You



 There are days I hate everyone.

I see customers coming and I already want to tell them to piss off I don't feel like doing your damn kids names in script come back to me with an original thought.... We're all guilty.

We're guilty of giving attitude, being burnt out, strung out, and worried if we're going to make rent


when the tattooing is going slow. Trust me I get it. However I have found that sometimes you need to check yourself because that same attitude will scare people off and make your problems that much worse.

With that being said, I brought back the count down that'll hopefully benefit my fellow artists and save you from being that stereotypical douche bag artist no one wants to deal with...



1. Eat.
I know it doesn't sound like something that would tie into tattooing but I assure you, it does. Sometimes you get wrapped up into a tattoo that takes a few hours and you forget to eat. When your hungry your irritable, unmotivated, and unfocused. Keep some granola bars or nuts in your bag. I'm a big fan of Naked and Bolthouse brand smoothies cause you can pound them down quick, get some nutrients and protein, and keep moving. It sounds like a Snickers commercial but seriously, eat. You get douchey when your hungry.






2. Be Persuasive and Compromise.
Being tattoo artist, we are naturally creative people. The general public is not. Day after day you get thrown ideas you find stupid and limiting to what you can really do and you can get frustrated. Try talking to the client. Clients come in with a basic idea without thinking of the possibilities and if you start throwing out some cool things while still going with their original idea you'll be surprised how easy they can be convinced. Me and my boyfriend have this issue all the time. We are American traditional artist... in Florida. A state that still hasn't gotten past the tribal fad. So when they come in wanting roses and patriotic tattoos we can sometimes talk them into getting old school roses and traditional eagles and now we're all happy. Just make sure to keep their original idea in mind. Don't trying to force a 50 year old school teacher into getting a Bio-mech sleeve when all she wanted was a butterfly on her ankle.




3. Be Excellent to Yourself.
Take care of yourself. This is closely linked to the eating tip. When you feel good you are a better
person all the way around. This is not rocket science. I've always been into fitness, being in a profession where you sit all day can be rough on the body. Eat right, try to get a exercise in, do yoga, go for a walk during down time. I'm not saying you need to go out and buy P90X but how about don't get wasted every night and have to work hung over the next day? Drink water so your not getting headaches. Get enough sleep at night. Do you!






4. Don't be That Guy... (or girl)
I can tell you a specific time I worked in a shop as a counter girl where one of the artists who was supposed to be the big rockstar artist, went across the street to a local bar, got hammered, and came back and pass out snoring in the waiting area. 30 minutes later a group of giggly college girls came in looking to get matching sorority tattoos and were terrified seeing this large, tattooed, beared mad just pass the fuck out in the middle of the room... Don't be that guy. Just because you are a tattoo artist does not mean you have to live the "tattoo life style".  You know what happens to those guys? They get fired. They get fired, or they lose their shop because they get wrapped up in their habit and blow all their money and can't pay the bills. Party, enjoy life, it's yours for the taking, but have some control. We're grown ups now, lets act like it.



5. GOLDEN RULE: Don't Pre-Judge.
My parents didn't get their first tattoos until they were in their 40's so they were not exactly tattoo gurus when they first walked into a shop. My dad uses the word "tat" that sounds like nails on a chalk board to me. However, they are cool people, and very easy going and I can promise you they tip their artists every time. (YOU BETTER BE FATHER!!) What I'm saying is, don't roll your eyes when you see someone come in. You don't know a thing about them yet. I can tell you I'm so guilty of this myself. Girls that looked like total anal bitches that ended up being super easy going and friendly. Men that
act a little weird and off and then you find out they are army veterans that took a bullet for this country and end up tipping you $40 just for listening to them and being friendly while you worked. There was a women once I was scared to tattoo because she was crying not that long ago over some guy and I thought she was going to be a psycho. She was a sweetheart and loved my tattoo and recommended me to all her friends.



Remember. You're being paid to draw on people. That's your life. You don't have to wear a uniform, or get up at 6am to go to work, or watching a training video. Yes you have to deal with the public but you get to hurt them for hours, just like you dreamed of when you worked in that fast food restaurant.

Party on Dudes and Be Excellent to Each Other...

-Casey

No comments:

Post a Comment